Summer may have just started but the 4th of July weekend is when the party really begins. It’s time to break out the red, white and blue as the celebration of our nation’s independence draws near. This year, we’re thinking dessert in our party spread in the form of these adorable summer berry parfaits. What better time of the season to use fresh seasonal berries to adorn your recipes? Fragrant, colorful jewels of the summer, layered with cool, refreshing yogurt and crunchy Clean Snax, who could say no to this easy and elegant sweet treat at an outdoor picnic or BBQ? And if you’re feeling extra patriotic, you can also whip up other July 4th desserts such as our American Flag Pie or Mini Raspberry Mousse Cakes.
Have you ever met a berry you didn’t like? We haven’t! Plump, juicy gems that are equally delicious as they are gorgeous, many berries are at their peak during the summertime. Their intense sweetness and luscious texture make them an easy snack to munch on and a much more nutritious option than candy. Chock full of antioxidants and vitamins, berries are worth their weight in health benefits, making them some of nature’s best superfoods all around. Melissa’s offers a wide variety of berries from the popular blueberries, raspberries and strawberries to the more unique red currants, pineberries and even goldenberries. Although quite scrumptious eaten raw, berries lend themselves to some of the best summer desserts such as Macerated Berry Crepes, Vegan Goldenberry Tarts and more.
Red, White and Blue Parfaits
Yields: 4 servings
- 3 cups of Harry’s Berries Strawberries or Organic Strawberries, chopped
- 3 cups of blueberries
- 3 cups of raspberries
- 2-3 boxes of Clean Snax
- 1 carton of low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract
- Mason jars
1. Add the almond extract to the vanilla yogurt and stir through thoroughly.
2. To assemble your parfaits, add a small handful of raspberries, followed by blueberries and then strawberries. Add a small dollop of the vanilla yogurt.
3. Take a small handful of Clean Snax and crumble them up into the mason jar. Repeat step 2 until you have filled up your mason jar.
4. Add a single whole strawberry to the top of the mason jar as garnish. You may store the parfaits in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve.
What are you going to be feasting on for 4th of July? What are your favorite 4th of July desserts?