All Big Game parties should have a dip or two, wouldn’t you agree? Whether you prefer something cheesy like a chile fundido or healthy like roasted red pepper hummus, it’s safe to say that all dips are welcome. This kind of appetizer always score a touchdown at game day gatherings, turning chips, vegetables and other dippers into fabulous finger foods. Sometimes savory, sometimes sweet and sometimes both, party dips are the easiest way to amp up your spread and keep your party going strong. If you’re really looking to impress your guests this year, look no further than this Skillet Bread Artichoke Dip. Artichoke dip is one of those party classics that no matter what you do with it, never fumbles. This version takes all that gooey, melted cheesy goodness and encases it in a freshly baked pull-apart bread. What better way to celebrate the Big Game? Your guests are sure to be wowed as you sweep in from the kitchen with a hot skillet of this masterpiece. Once ready to serve, simply pull a piece of the bread off and dig in!
Of course, the most important ingredient in this recipe happen to be artichokes! While you can use the canned stuff, Melissa’s Steamed Artichoke Hearts are a wonderful ingredient for this game day favorite. Melissa’s Steamed Artichoke Hearts come already steamed, vacuum sealed to insure a fresh just-picked flavor and ready to eat. Artichokes are an edible member of the thistle family and actually the immature bud of what would be a large sunflower-like blossom if not picked for consumption. Although there are around 6 different parts to an artichoke, only the leaves, center and heart are eaten. The meaty base of the globe is where the heart is and is considered a culinary delicacy. Its flavor can be tricky to describe–mild with a slightly citrusy taste and a subtle sweetness. Besides incorporating them into dip, you can also enjoy them fresh as part of a salad such as this French Country Style Beet and Artichoke Salad or a pasta like this Lemon Basil Artichoke Spaghetti.
Skillet Bread Artichoke Dip
Yields: 8 to 10 servings
- 1 bag of frozen bread rolls
- 8 cups of spinach leaves
- 1 package of Melissa’s Steamed Artichoke Hearts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup of white or yellow onions, chopped
- 1 brick (8 oz) of cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, freshly ground
1. Grease a large skillet with cooking spray. Take your frozen bread rolls and arrange them in a ring towards the edge of the skillet. Leave a little bit of space between each bread rolls as they will expand as they thaw and rise.
2. Leave the skillet in a warm spot and allow the bread rolls to rise for around an hour.
3. When the bread is almost finished thawing, make the artichoke dip. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients together. Stir thoroughly to make sure everything is well mixed.
4. Pour the mixture into another skillet and cook everything together until the cheese has melted. This should take around 4 to 5 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven the 350 degrees. Pour the artichoke dip into the center of the skillet bread. You may sprinkle the top of the dip with more cheese if you’d like.
6. Put the skillet in the oven and bake for around 25 to 30 minutes until the dip has become browned and bubbly and the bread is golden brown and puffy.
7. Remove from the heat and allow for the skillet to cool for at least 10 minutes. When ready to serve