Soup’s on! Did you know that January is officially National Soup Month? When the winter chill is nipping at your nose, soup is here to save the day. Nothing beats a hot bowl of soup or stew during this time of the year such as comforting San Marzano Tomato Soup paired with grilled cheese sandwiches or a hearty Irish Beef Stew. Soup can be eaten as both an appetizer or a main course, but in this kind of weather, we prefer the latter. In the interest of keeping up with our New Year resolutions of eating healthier, this week’s recipe should do the trick. A Moroccan inspired soup, this Lentil Chickpea Soup is packed with tons of flavor and filled with delicious spices like cinnamon and turmeric, colorful vegetables and lentils and chickpeas from our Steamed Line. Because the lentils and chickpeas are already conveniently cooked, the soup simmers rather quickly and is ready to serve in less than twenty minutes. You can even make it vegetarian by substituting the chicken broth with vegetable broth or water instead. No matter what you do with this recipe, the result is a dynamic, healthy soup that’s sure to soothe the soul.
Lentils have earned their reputation as one of the world’s best superfoods. They’re not only nutrient-dense in dietary fiber, protein and folic acid but also heart-healthy. Aside from their obvious health benefits, they’re also happen to be perfect for soups. Chickpeas are also an excellent culinary ingredient and can be used in a wide variety of recipes. After all, they go beyond just hummus when it comes to their versatility. To make this recipe simple and quick, we used our Steamed Lentils and Peeled and Steamed Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas) from our Steamed Line, which takes out the extra step of having to cook the proteins yourself. All items from our Steamed Line are conveniently ready to eat right out of the bag and can be added to appetizers, salads, casseroles and of course, soups.
Lentil Chickpea Soup
Yields: 4 servings
- 1 package of Melissa’s Steamed Lentils
- 1 packages of Melissa’s Peeled and Steamed Garbanzo Beans (Chickpeas)
- 1 15 oz can of canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup of chopped cilantro
- 5 cups of low sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Sour cream, for serving
1. In a large pot, heat up the butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, cook the onions and carrots until softened for around 10 minutes.
2. Add the garlic, ground ginger, turmeric, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Cook for another minute.
3. Pour the chicken broth into the pot. Add the steamed lentils, chickpeas and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Bring the soup to a boil for 5 minutes, then lower the heat. Add the lemon juice. Simmer the soup for around 10 to 12 minutes.
5. When ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle on the chopped cilantro and add a dollop of sour cream.