Let the tailgating parties continue into the new year! Everyone is trying to eat a little healthier at this time of the year. This can pose a bit of a challenge to some as game day food isn’t exactly known for having many healthy options. But alas, not us! Just because the game is on doesn’t mean you have to give up on your resolutions on game day. We’re all about eating healthy all year round such as with Vegetarian Sheet Pan Nachos, Vegetable Bird’s Nests, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus and much more. So let’s talk about fries. Fries are a favorite at pretty much any kind of party and can be dressed up in a variety of different ways. This week’s recipe is the healthy, New Year’s resolution-worthy cousin of your typical potato fry. No, we’re not talking about sweet potato fries, albeit delicious in their own way. Say hello to green bean fries instead. Crunchy, full of flavor and just as delicious as regular fries, these fries crisp up nicely with a tasty garlic and Parmesan cheese coating. And the best part? No deep fryer needed!
Who needs potatoes for fries when you have green beans instead? Crunchy, sweet beans make an excellent substitute for finger foods and are equally as delicious (and healthier too). Melissa’s Organic Green Beans are vividly green, long and offer a sweet flavor with a perfectly crisp texture. They’re a great source of vitamins, nutrients and fiber and are preferred for their delicious taste, better health and environmental-friendliness. These versatile, high quality beans can be incorporated into a variety of dishes. Enjoy them in a simple green bean salad or as part of a main dish such as Couscous with Shrimp and Green Beans.
Baked Green Bean Fries
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 lb of fresh organic green beans, trimmed on the ends
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
2. In a bowl, beat the egg. In another bowl, mix together the parmesan cheese, minced garlic, garlic powder and salt and pepper.
3. Dip the green beans in the egg first. Then dip them into to parmesan cheese mixture, making sure each green bean is evenly coated.
4. Move the green beans to a lightly greased baking sheet. Arrange the green beans in a single layer, making sure none of them are touching each other.
5. Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Sprinkle a little extra salt and pepper on top if desired.