Hello there, 2018! It’s a brand new year and we’re coming to an end with college football season. Although the new year is just beginning, it’s important for football fanatics to go out with a bang with a fantastic tailgating menu. From winter recipes like San Marzano Tomato Soup to Cheesy Fennel Gratin to popular classics like Sheet Pan Nachos (Vegtarian) and Slow Cooker Artichoke Dip, we’ve got some amazing recipes for throwing the best tailgate you’ve seen yet. This week’s recipe, however, is something a little different from what you may usually munch on. Even though one of the most popular New Year’s resolutions is to eat healthier, that doesn’t mean we stop craving fried foods, especially during game day. Vegetable Bird’s Nests gives us the best of both worlds. Fresh organic vegetables from Melissa’s like organic cabbage, organic carrots and organic zucchini, all of which are sliced thinly, and then fried until crispy and golden brown. This fabulous party appetizer is quite simple to put together and makes an incredible gluten-free, vegetarian option. You may enjoy them on their own or serve alongside soy sauce or sweet chili sauce for dipping.
Also called courgettes, zucchinis are a variety of marrow squash with thin skin and crisp cream colored flesh. Although known as a summer squash, Melissa’s Organic Zucchini is available year round. Our organic zucchini is free of artificial or synthetic fertilizers and full of unforgettable, great tasting flavor. From the skin, seeds and flesh, nearly all components of this squash are edible. Its flavor is mild and mellow with just the right hint of sweetness and savoriness. Easy to cook and work with, zucchini is very versatile and can be made into a classic Zucchini Bread with Lemon and Blueberries. You can also serve them fried, grilled, or steamed, buttered and sprinkled with herbs and spices. They can also be enjoyed raw such as sliced or shredded into cold salads or spiraled into a Zucchini Linguine with Meat Sauce.
Fried Vegetable Bird’s Nests
Yields: 10 to 12 servings
- 1 and 1/4 cup of rice flour
- 1 cup of iced water
- 1/4 head of organic cabbage or 1 whole Kool Cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 1 organic carrot, peeled and finely shredded
- 1 organic zucchini, peeled and finely shredded
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice flour, corn starch, ice water and salt. This will be your batter.
2. Toss the sliced cabbage, onions, carrots and zucchini into the batter, making sure the vegetables are evenly coated.
3. In a deep frying pan or saucepan, heat up 2 to 3 inches of vegetable oil over medium high heat to 350 degrees.
4. Take a large spoon and scoop up the vegetable batter, forming a bird’s nest. Drop it into the hot oil. Do this for about 3 to 4 other bird’s nests but be careful not to overcrowd the pan. Fry for around 2 to 3 minutes per side until the bird’s nests are golden brown and crispy.
5. Use a slotted spoon to remove the bird’s nests from the hot oil. Place onto a paper towel lined plate to drain off any excess oil.
6. Serve alongside soy sauce or sweet chili sauce for dipping.