Brrr, the fall chill is soon to settle in, which means it’s time to break out that slow cooker once again! Slow cookers are great for when you want to throw together something simple without all the mess and hassle of slaving away over a hot stove all afternoon. You can make nearly anything from a Slow Cooked Squash Stew to a Slow Cooked Thai Pork with Kabocha Squash and much more. But let’s talk about tailgating. We’ve been on a tailgating kick lately and we’re excited to share another simple chip and dip recipe you can bring to any game day gathering. We all know how simple spinach and artichoke dip is to make. The only thing more simple than that is our slow cooker version. Green leafy spinach broken down into a hot and bubbly creamy dip combined with the irresistible flavors of hearty artichokes, what’s not to love? After just a few hours on the slow cooker, you have yourself a fun and cheesy appetizer to serve at parties or gatherings. To serve alongside this recipe, the only thing you need are your favorite crunchy dippers.
Of course, you can’t have spinach artichoke dip without the artichokes! Melissa’s Steamed Artichoke Hearts make a wonderful ingredient for this game day favorite. Artichokes are an edible member of the thistle family and actually the immature bud of what would be a large sunflower-like blossom if not picked for consumption. Although there are around 6 different parts to an artichoke, only the leaves, center and heart are eaten. The meaty base of the globe is where the heart is and is considered a culinary delicacy. Its flavor can be tricky to describe–mild with a slightly citrusy taste and a subtle sweetness. Melissa’s Steamed Artichoke Hearts come already steamed, vacuum sealed to insure a fresh just-picked flavor and ready to eat. Besides incorporating them into dip, you can also enjoy them fresh as part of a salad such as this French Country Style Beet and Artichoke Salad or a pasta like this Lemon Basil Artichoke Spaghetti.
Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
- 8 cups of spinach leaves
- 1 package of Melissa’s Steamed Artichoke Hearts
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup of white or yellow onions, chopped
- 1 brick (8 oz) of cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, freshly ground
1. In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients together. Stir thoroughly to make sure everything is well mixed.
2. Coat the inside of your slow cooker with cooking spray. Then add the mixture to the slow cooker.
3. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 3 hours.
4. When the dip is finished cooking, transfer to a serving bowl and serve alongside pita chips, tortilla chips or any of your favorite sides.