Tailgating season is well underway, which means weekly gatherings of friends, fun and of course, food! When it comes to putting together a tailgating menu, it’s always best to keep things simple and portable enough to feed a crowd. And what’s better than game day food? How about game day food that’s actually healthy and energizing instead of the heavy, calorie laden fare you’d often find? There’s no need to sacrifice your favorite dishes when you have healthy options to balance out your party spread. We’ve always been big fans of hummus because they make not only a delicious afternoon snack but also a crowd pleasing appetizer at parties. Pair them up with sliced pita bread, pita chips or raw vegetables for a great finger food alternative to the usual party dip. This week’s recipe is our refreshing take on a classic hummus made with our Peeled and Steamed Garbanzo Beans and Fire Roasted Red Bell Peppers. The result is a vibrant creamy dip blended with the perfect combination of sweet and smokey flavors.
We have a confession to make: roasted red bell peppers are kind of addicting. The process helps bring out their sweetness while adding a touch of unique smokiness you could only find when roasted in the oven. They also become incredibly tender and easy to use in various recipes like soups, stews and sauces. While you can roast your own at home, Melissa’s Fire Roasted Sweet Red Bell Peppers are incredibly easy and convenient to use right out of the jar and will save you plenty of time and kitchen cleanup. Their unique flavors are sure to amp up and add a touch of zest to a variety of dishes.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Yields: 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup of Fire Roasted Sweet Red Bell Peppers, plus more for garnish
- 1 package of Peeled and Steamed Garbanzo Beans
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoons of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
1. In a food processor, combine the roasted red bell peppers, Steamed Garbanzo beans, garlic, jalapeño, onions, lemon juice, paprika, salt and cayenne pepper and process for about one minute until smooth.
2. With the motor still running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil for another minute.
3. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle in more olive oil and garnish with the chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.
4. Serve alongside sliced pita bread, pita chips or tortilla chips.