You know what we love about the slow cooker? It’s perfect for a game day gathering! Instead of slaving away in the kitchen or hanging out behind a hot grill all afternoon, the slow cooker would’ve already done most of the work for you. More time to participate in pre-game activities with friends before the actual game begins is always a big win in our books. Whether you plan to enjoy the game at home or a tailgating event, the slow cooker is easily portable and can keep your dish nice and hot before serving. If you’re looking for what to serve for your tailgate, look no further than a classic chili! Chili not only hearty, meaty and robust but also as easy as “toss all the ingredients into the slow cooker and push the button” easy. We use lean ground beef in this recipe and combine it with vegetables, spices and Melissa’s Steamed Red Kidney Beans. Serve this tailgate favorite alongside other game day fare such as tortilla chips, corn bread, hot dogs and more.
Red kidney beans are a quintessential ingredient in chili and a staple item in many Creole dishes. In fact, you may recognize them in the Southern dish, red beans and rice! Named for their glossy, ruby hue and resemblance to the shape of kidneys, these beans pack quite a nutritional punch. Not only are they low in fat, they’re also chock full of vitamins, fiber, protein and minerals. Although you can use and cook them dried, Melissa’s Steamed Red Kidney Beans are precooked and ready to use right out o the convenient vacuum sealed package. You can utilize them in salad, dips and appetizers and they also make a wonderful, time saving soup ingredient as well!
Slow Cooker Chili
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 lbs of lean ground beef
- 3 packages of Melissa’s Steamed Red Kidney Beans
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Green onions, chopped
1. In a large skillet, heat up some vegetable oil over medium heat. Cook the onions and bell pepper for around 7 to 8 minutes until softened.
2. Add the garlic, cumin and chili powder to the vegetables. Then add the ground beef and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Cook for around 7 minutes until the meat is nicely browned.
3. Pour the meat and vegetables into the slow cooker. Add Melissa’s Steamed Red Kidney Beans, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes. Stir until the mixture is well combined with the meat and the rest of the vegetables.
4. Turn on the slow cooker and cook on low for around 6 hours on high or 8 hours on low heat.
5. When ready to serve, ladle out the chili into separate serving bowls. Top with a sprinkle of shredded Cheddar cheese and green onions.
One thought on “Slow Cooker Chili”
So spicy recipe