Football season has arrived, which means it’s time for some good old tailgating! For those of you unfamiliar with what tailgating entails, it’s basically a social gathering that involves plenty of food and drinks gathered around an open tailgate of a parked vehicle. It’s a fun way to get together before a big game or concert and often involves grilling and munching on game day fare like organic vegetable shish kabobs, roasted soy citrus wings and more. Tailgating food is just as important as the team you’re cheering for which is why you’re going to want to bring your A-game. Say hello to one of our favorite party foods this year–Avocado Hummus! This fabulous party dip is the perfect cross between hummus and guacamole and much more healthy and guilt-free than your typical chips and dip or nachos. Rich and creamy avocados mixed together with Melissa’s Peeled and Steamed Garbanzo Beans and just a few simple ingredients couldn’t make an easier combination for your tailgating and game day needs. You can serve this alongside sliced pita bread, pita chips, tortilla chips or even crudités.
From guacamole to baked fries, avocados and sports go together well and are essential ingredients at any tailgating party. A most beloved fruit, they’re prized for their rich, nutty flavor and creamy, buttery texture. Not only do they deliver many health benefits such as vitamins and minerals, they also contain healthy fats, making them quite the superfood. Americans eat millions of pounds of avocados each year, many of which are eaten during major football events such as the Big Game in February. Because avocados have so much to offer, they have inspired a number of health-based food trends over the years such as toast, smoothies, pasta and more.
Yields: 6 servings
- 2 organic avocados, seeded and chopped
- 1 box of Melissa’s Peeled and Steamed Garbanzo Beans
- 1 clove of garlic, smashed
- 1/3 cup of fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1. In a food processor, combine the avocados, Steamed Garbanzo beans, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper and process for about one minute until smooth.
2. With the motor still running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil for another minute.
3. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle in more olive oil and garnish with the chopped parsley and pepitas.
4. Serve alongside sliced pita bread, pita chips or tortilla chips.