Can you believe summer is practically over already? The kids are headed back to school after a long summer vacation, which means it’s going to be a busy time for everyone. Although the challenge for parents during these past months was to keep them occupied at home during break, a new task has arrived–the task of keeping them well fed before, during and after school. After all, kids are known for being some notoriously picky eaters which means you’ll have to procure not only parent-approved, but also kid-friendly recipes. One thing we think both parents and kids can agree on are that chocolate and bananas are delicious, and even more so when combined together. This recipe takes your classic banana bread and transforms it into all the good things kids love in an after school snack. Bake a fresh loaf and have it ready to eat for when they arrive back home after a long day of learning or serve a slice or two along with a glass of milk for a scrumptious breakfast. No matter the time of the day, this moist and delectable quick bread is sure to be a favorite for the whole family.
It’s no secret that bananas are a nutritional powerhouse. Considered one of the world’s most popular fruits, bananas are a parent’s answer to feeding their hungry kids. Not only are the good for digestion and heart health, they’re also chock full of important nutrients such as potassium, antioxidants, vitamins, magnesium and much more. Bananas can be eaten fresh as a snack or a lunchtime accompaniment or when used ripe, incorporated into all sorts of recipes. Whether used in a dessert such as these Baby Banana Crepes or refreshments like this Strawberry Banana Passion Fruit Smoothie or even a savory dish, there’s no denying how versatile this fruit can be. When putting together a gluten-free, kosher or vegan recipe, bananas are your best bet. From petite baby bananas which are smaller and sweeter than the most popular Cavendish Bananas to the Manzano Bananas, which is used primarily in desserts, we have a variety to choose from depending on your preferences.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Yields: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 to 4 ripe bananas or 1 bunch of baby bananas, mashed
- 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
2. In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. In a separate bowl, mix together the bananas, milk, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
3. In another bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until the mixture is fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time to the mixture.
4. Then add the banana mixture, followed by the flour mixture. Stir together until well combined.
5. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake in the oven for about 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool completely before serving.