Mother’s Day is right around the corner and what better way to show Mom some love than with something sweet? While we should approach each day as though it were Mother’s Day, May 14th is the day to treat her to something special. After all, it’s the thought that really counts and homemade dessert is always made with plenty of love. You can go with the tried-and-true breakfast in bed and serve up a Meyer Lemon Yogurt Coffee Cake, Ginger Cake with Apricot Sticky Sauce, Eggs Benedict with Chipotle Hollandaise and more. Or if you plan to take her out for brunch this year instead, you can always surprise her at home with this Chocolate Raspberry Crepe Cake. Not to worry, the crepe cake is not as labor intensive as it may look. Although you can certainly stand over a hot stove and make your own crepes, our ready-made crepes makes it easy to put together this beautiful and elegant cake. The crepes are assembled layer by layer with freshly-made chocolate buttercream and topped off with juicy, tart raspberries and Melissa’s chocolate dessert sauce for one exquisite flavor combination that’s sure to wow Mom. For other delicious Mother’s Day brunch ideas, visit our menu.
Melissa’s ready-to-serve Crepes are a delicious and convenient way to save hours in the kitchen preparing desserts. Made from powdered milk, enriched flour, sugar, dextrose, whole eggs, butter and salt, these crepes are fresh and can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to a month. Not only can you make sweet crepes like Crepes Suzette with Ojai Pixie Tangerines or Strawberry Crepes with Raspberry Sauce, you can also use them for savory ones as well. Whip up a tasty breakfast crepe filled with eggs and sausage or stuff them with seafood, chicken or vegetables. To make life a little sweeter, we also have a full lineup of Dessert Sauces to choose from with flavors that include Caramel, Chocolate, Raspberry, White Chocolate and Cinnamon. Drizzle them over crepes, waffles, pancakes and French toast for breakfast or on top of cake and ice cream for a decadent treat.
Chocolate Raspberry Crepe Cake
Yields: 8 to 10 servings
- 2 packages of Melissa’s Crepes
- 1 bottle of Melissa’s Chocolate-Flavored Dessert Sauce
- Fresh raspberries
- 5 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa
- 1 and 1/2 cups of unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of espresso powder
1. Begin by making the chocolate buttercream. In a stand mixer, combine the butter and cocoa powder. Then add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time followed by 1 tablespoon of milk at a time. Repeat these steps until all of the sugar and milk has been added.
2. Then add the espresso powder and vanilla extract and mix it in. Set aside the buttercream frosting until ready to assemble the crepe cake.
3. When ready to assemble, begin by placing one crepe onto a serving plate. Spread a thin layer of the chocolate buttercream on top, leaving about a 1/2 border around the edge. Repeat this step until all the crepes and buttercream have been used.
4. Place the crepe cake in the refrigerator for at least a few hours or up to overnight.
5. When ready to serve, drizzle the top of the crepe cake generously with the chocolate dessert sauce. Top with plenty of fresh raspberries.