The start of springtime calls for a lovely weekend brunch. When we think of brunch during this time of the year, we see bright flavors and simple, fresh ingredients. Produce like citrus and grapes are best enjoyed during these cool yet warming months leading up to the summer. To kick things off since the first day of spring last week, we’re featuring a recipe that’s over a hundred years old with our own little twist–Crepes Suzette! A popular breakfast item, Crepes Suzette has its origins tracing back to Paris at the turn of the twentieth century where a waiter accidentally lit crepes on fire while serving the future King Edward VII of England and his lovely dining companion named Suzette. Whether the story is true or not, it’s no wonder this classic French recipe has withstood the test of time. Crepes Suzette is a simple dish made with thin crepe pancakes tossed in an exquisite orange, butter, sugar and Grand Mariner sauce. The method of flambéing the crepes at the end makes this very much a showstopper that’s sure to wake anyone up in the morning. To save on time, our version calls for our ready-made crepes which skips the extra, arduous task of making your own crepes at home.
Citrus is still happening and plentiful with none as delicious and bounteous as Ojai Pixie Tangerines! There’s something magical about these petite-sized fruits. Grown in the beautiful and lush Ojai Valley, these tangerines are bursting with the sweetest flavor and most delicious juice that California sunshine has to offer. Both a local and national favorite for tangerines, Pixie tangerines are known to make popular backyard trees in Ojai, California and have a pebbly texture with orange-yellow rinds. Seedless and easy to peel, these amazingly sweet fruits are a favorite for snacking amongst kids and adults alike. Ojai Pixies are a later-season citrus variety that’s available from the months of March to May. Although traditional recipes for Crepes Suzette include oranges, we’ve decided to take advantage of the delicious unique flavors Ojai Pixies have to offer. Because hey, why not?
Crepes Suzette with Ojai Pixie Tangerines
Yields: 6 servings
- 6 of Melissa’s Crepes
- 1 and 1/2 cups of Ojai Pixie Tangerine juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon of Ojai Pixie Tangerine zest, finely grated
- 1/4 cup of Grand Mariner or orange liqueur
- 2 tablespoons of Cognac
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
- Strips of grated Ojai Pixie Tangerine zest, for garnish
1. Begin by making the Ojai Pixie Tangerine butter. Use a food processor to combine the butter, orange zest and sugar until well blended. Slowly add in the orange juice while the food processor is still running until combined.
2. Heat up a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 tablespoons of the tangerine butter and allow to melt.
3. Add 3 crepes to the skillet and use 2 forks to coat the crepes in the butter. Fold them into quarters and make sure they’re secure in the skillet.
4. Add the Grand Mariner and Cognac to the skillet. Remove the skillet from the heat. Use a long-handled match to light up the alcohol. Stir the crepes around in the mixture until the flames subside. Repeat this step with the remaining crepes.
5. Serve the crepes immediately. Transfer the crepes to warmed plates along with any of the remaining liquid from the skillet. Add the remainder of the tangerine butter to the top of the crepes and allow to melt. Garnish the plate with tangerine zest.