Citrus season is in full swing and today, we’re going back to basics. After last weekend’s Big Game festivities, it’s time to get back onto track with some light and healthy eating. Although it’s still wintertime, citrus is plentiful and happening for the next few months. This is the prime time of the year to enjoy special citrus varieties that are only available seasonally such as Blood Oranges, Kishu Mandarins, Meyer Lemons and much more. To get into the spirit of the season, we’re celebrating with this gorgeous Citrus and Beet Salad. Layered slices of fresh citrus and steamed baby beets finished with a simple lime and olive oil dressing, this is pure beauty on a plate. We also crumble up some goat cheese on top for that extra salty, tangy bite of flavor, which serves as a nice contrast against the sweet, juiciness of the citrus. And the final touch? A sprinkle of our edible flowers to add glamour and elegance to this simple, exquisite salad.
You may use any kind of citrus for this recipe but we especially love the flavor and aesthetics of blood oranges, Cara Cara oranges or Shasta Gold tangerines. All of these citrus varieties are delicious with unique qualities of their own. Blood oranges have a deep crimson hue and distinct sweet and slightly bittersweet flavor with berry undertones. Cara Cara oranges, also known as red navel oranges, have a pink raspberry-colored flesh with a flavor of sweet cherry undertones. And don’t underestimate Shashta Golds. While they fall under the tangerine category, their size can be comparable to that of other oranges. They’re incredibly juicy, super sweet and conveniently seedless! Feel free to mix and match any of these varieties for this winter citrus salad.
Citrus and Beet Salad
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 Blood Oranges, Cara Cara Oranges or Shasta Gold Tangerines
- 2 packages of Melissa’s Peeled and Steamed Baby Beets
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup of goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, freshly ground
- Melissa’s Edible Flowers, for garnish
1. Use a sharp knife to remove the peel of the oranges, cutting in a downward motion. Begin by cutting the peel off of both ends and then the sides. Make sure to cut deep enough into the pith to remove the white part and reveal the juicy segment. Then cut the orange downward into 1/4-inch rounds.
2. Place the orange rounds into a large bowl. Then add in the beets. Then season with the salt, pepper, lime juice and olive oil. Toss in the salt, pepper, lime juice and olive oil and mix together.
3. Arrange the salad onto plates by overlaying the orange rounds and beets. Then sprinkle on the crumbled goat cheese and mint leaves.
4. Garnish the salad with the edible flowers and serve immediately.