The Big Game is more than just the biggest football showdown of the year. It also happens to be the second largest food consumption day of the year in the United States, only following Thanksgiving. Nothing beats gathering together with friends and family to enjoy a day of football, fun and food. At any Big Game party, you’ll usually find the usual tried-and true game day foods such as Roasted Soy Citrus Wings, Artichoke Garlic Dip and more. While eating healthy isn’t exactly the top priority on this particular Sunday, we always like to make sure we have some alternatives to balance out our table spread. This year, there are some new fries in town and they’re made with fresh, succulent avocados. Breaded in panko breadcrumbs and baked in the oven to perfection, these Avocado Fries are crunchy on the outside and luscious on the inside–basically everything you can ask for in a Big Game treat. These incredible crispy, buttery fries are best served with a side of cool, spicy mayo, aioli or ketchup for dipping. We’ve provided a quick and easy recipe for a Chipotle mayo dipping sauce you can use with this recipe or any other finger food!
Americans consume millions of pounds of avocados on the day of the Big Game with the numbers growing year after year. After all, they aren’t just for guacamole. Known for their rich, nutty flavor and buttery texture, avocados are also noted for their high nutrition benefits in healthy fats. From toast to pasta to smoothies, avocados have inspired many brilliant health-based food trends and continue to do so to this day. In fact, these deliciously creamy fruits can serve as a great alternative for meatless recipes such as in these Avocado Quesadillas with Mango Salsa or Red Savina Avocado and Grilled Corn Wontons.
Baked Avocado Fries
Yields: 4 to 6 servings
For the avocado fries
- 4 organic avocados
- 4 large eggs
- 3 of panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
For the chipotle mayo
- 2 chipotle chiles from 1 can of chipotles in adobo
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Slice the avocados lengthwise into 1/2 pieces.
2. Set up three separate bowls. For the first bowl, add the flour. In the second bowl, crack the eggs and beat the eggs. In the third bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.
3. Take the avocado slices and dip them first into the flour, then the egg and then the panko bread crumbs. Set up your baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray the surface with cooking spray.
4. Place the avocado slices onto the baking sheet. Bake for around 20 to 25 minutes until the fries are a light golden brown. Flip the fries halfway through baking.
5. While the avocado fries are baking, make the chipotle mayo sauce. Add the mayonnaise, chipotles, sour cream and lime juice into the blender. Puree until the mixture is smooth.
6. Once the fries are finished baking, remove them from the heat and allow to cool for about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with a side of chipotle mayo for dipping.