3, 2, 1, Happy New Year! The countdown begins this week and what better way to pay homage to the start of 2017 than with a little bubbly? New Year’s Eve is the perfect time to gather with friends and loved ones and break out the sparkling wine and champagne. When it comes to celebrating, it’s all about the finger foods and bubbly libations. A fabulous night always calls for a fabulous drink to match, which is why we’re welcoming the new year with the Cranberry Wine Spritzer! Wine spritzers are a refreshing and elegant way to celebrate any occasion without going overboard on the alcohol. All you need is some form of wine, seltzer water or soda for the extra bubbles and your favorite fruits. In spirit of the holiday season, we’re adding cranberries to the mix for its tart, sweet and tangy flavors which goes divine with dry, crisp chardonnay. Since we’re talking bubbles here, it’s only natural that we go with one of our most popular wines in our wine selection: the 2012 Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs.
A timeless choice for sparkling wine, the Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs was America’s first commercially produced Chardonnay-based brut wine. The 2010 release is vibrant, fruity and crisp and boasts fresh aromas of green apple, pineapple and grapefruit. This wonderful wine pairs beautifully with seafood appetizers and hard cheeses, making it a festive option for enjoying at a formal dinner or any cocktail party.
“The 2012 Blanc de Blancs open with fresh aromas of green apple, juicy pineapple and ripe grapefruit. The fruitful nose is complemented by developed nuances of fresh baked brioche and lemon tart. Bright flavors of grapefruit, lime and pineapple, are accented by a slight minerality on the finish. The plate is crisp on entry, with a long, tangy and refreshing acidity.”
– Tasting Notes from Winemakers Keith Hock and Hugh Davies
Cranberry Wine Spritzer
Yields: 6 servings
- 1 bottle of 2012 Schramsberg Blanc de Blancs
- 1 and 1/2 cups of cranberry juice
- 2 cans of lemon lime soda
- 2 cups of cranberries
- Rosemary sprigs, for garnish
1. Combine the white wine and cranberry juice in a large pitcher.
2. Top it off with the lemon lime soda.
3. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
4. Pour the spritzer into each glass with ice. Sprinkle in a few cranberries in each glass. Garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary.