Besides Halloween, one of the most exciting things to look forward to in October is basketball season! Nothing beats enjoying a good game night in front of the television with great friends, plenty of beer and of course, good eats. We love making homemade appetizers to snack on alongside any basketball game and what better munchies than fried green tomatoes? Although typically known as a Southern staple, fried green tomatoes are delicious treat that’s foolproof for satisfying that savory food fix during any game. Fried to perfection, they’re bursting with juicy flavor on the inside and crunchy on the outside from its unique cornmeal and bread crumb crust. Eat them while still hot and fresh off the skillet and don’t forget to serve it with a side of homemade spicy mayonnaise for dipping. Word of warning though, these simple fried medallions of perfection taste so delightful that you may find yourself making a second batch before they make it to the second quarter of the game.
In contrast to its red counterpart, green tomatoes don’t get quite as much attention as they should. Although available year-round, they pick up in popularity particularly during the fall when fresh tomatoes are no longer in season. Yes, they’re nothing like plush, succulent red tomatoes you see in Caprese salads but what they offer is a tart, acidity that sweetens and mellows out during the cooking process into something unique you won’t find with any other fruit. Fried green tomatoes can be eaten straight off the skillet such as in this recipe but can also be enjoyed in burgers and sandwiches in place of meat. And if you’re feeling ambitious, then you can also use them in fall soups and stews or boil them first, then toss into salsas.
Fried Green Tomatoes
Yields: 4 servings
- 4 green tomatoes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of cornmeal
- 1/2 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of milk or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
For the spicy mayo:
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
1. Cut the green tomatoes into 1/4 inch thick slices, making sure that they’re even. Sprinkle the salt on top of the tomatoes and allow for them to sit for a few minutes.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs.
3. First, place the flour in a separate bowl. In another bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, cornmeal, salt and pepper.
4. To coat the green tomatoes in the batter, dip the tomatoes into the flour mixture. Then dip them into the milk and eggs. Finally, dip them into the bread crumbs mixture.
5. Heat up the vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Then, fry the tomatoes for about 4-5 minutes on each side until both sides are browned.
6. Once completely cooked, place the fried green tomatoes on paper towels to drain off any excess oil.
7. To make the spicy mayo, simply mix together the mayo, Sriracha and lime juice. Serve alongside the fried green tomatoes for dipping.