August is a peachy keen time for us. After all, it so happens that this month is National Peach Month! And believe us, there is much to celebrate about one of the world’s most delicious fruits. For today’s recipe, we’re keeping up with the spirit of grilling season with a simple Grilled Peach Pizza. Now, everyone likes pizza but have you ever had pizza fresh from the grill? Grilling your pizza gives it that pizzeria quality, just like how we found in our Grilled Pesto Pizza with Baby Heirloom Tomatoes. And while peaches are tasty when eaten fresh out of hand, grilling them takes them to the next level as their natural sugars caramelize, bringing out flavors unlike any other. Combined with sweet and savory caramelized onions and mozzarella cheese, this pizza is worthy of any National Peach Month celebration.
Only in season for a few months each year, Melissa’s Organic Peaches are at the top of the list of most desired summer fruits. They’re high in vitamins and nutrients and also low in calories. Sweet, succulent and dripping with juiciness, peaches make quite the delicious snack and is excellent in both sweet and savory recipes. It doesn’t really matter how you enjoy them, since it doesn’t take much to highlight their tastiness. Grill them over a flame for a delicious dessert of Grilled Peaches with Basil and Goat Cheese. Or bake them into a hot and bubbly Peach, Blueberry and Apricot Galette or Organic Peach Cobbler.
Grilled Peach Pizza
Yields: 2-3 servings
- 4 organic peaches, pitted and sliced thin
- Pizza dough
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
- 2 cups of fresh mozzarella
- 2 sprigs of green onion, chopped
- Balsamic vinegar
For the caramelized onions
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1. Start by caramelizing the onions. In a sauté pan, add the butter and olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onions into the pan and sauté for 10 minutes. Add the sugar and salt and reduce to low heat. Continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Once the onions have caramelized, set aside for later.
2. Preheat the grill to high heat and brush the grates with olive oil. Grill the peach slices for about 90 seconds on each side.
3. On a clean surface, roll out your pizza dough into a rectangle. Again, brush the grill grates with more olive oil.
4. Brush one side of the dough and place it down towards the grill. Close the grill lid and cover for up to 2 minutes.
5. Flip the dough over and brush with more olive oil. Quickly place the mozzarella cheese, grilled peaches, caramelized onions and garlic onto the pizza.
6. Close the grill lid and cook for about 3 minutes, until the crust has turned golden brown with grill marks.
7. Remove from the heat and sprinkle on the salt, pepper and sliced green onions. Drizzle on the balsamic vinegar. Serve hot!
What are your favorite peach recipes? How do you plan to celebrate National Peach Month this August?