Nothing says, “I love you, Mom,” like breakfast in bed. And while you should treat mom as if it were Mother’s Day every day, May 8th this year is the day to step things up and really wow her. Cliche as it may be, a Mother’s Day breakfast in bed is tried and true and hard to beat, especially when she wakes up to the scent of breakfast prepared from scratch. Although you want to spoil mom with plenty of love on this day, there’s no need to tear up the kitchen in the process of doing so. This year, keep things elegant and simple with our Meyer Lemon Yogurt Cake. It’s bright and flavorful with fragrant notes of Meyer Lemons and incredibly moist from the addition of tangy, creamy yogurt. Serve up a slice or two of this light and easy coffee cake with a freshly brewed cup of Mom’s favorite coffee. Trust us when we say she’ll know breakfast was made with lots of love!
Although the season for Meyer Lemons is slowing down, that doesn’t mean we’ve seen the last of them yet. This quick lemon yogurt cake is the perfect springtime sendoff before we bid them adieu for the time being. After all, while you can enjoy conventional lemons year-round, Meyer lemons are one of the highly coveted citrus you don’t want to miss out on before the season finishes. Their low acidity and much sweeter flavor compared to regular lemons makes them a standout ingredient that you can use in many different recipes. Plus, aren’t they just gorgeous with their smooth, glossy skin and deep yellow color?
Meyer Lemon Yogurt Cake
Yields: 8-10 servings
- 2 teaspoons of zest from 2 Meyer Lemons
- 1/3 cup of Meyer Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of Plain Yogurt or Greek Yogurt
- 1 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/3 cups of granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup of vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
1. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, lemon zest an 1 cup of sugar.
2. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, using your whisk to mix everything together. Once everything is combined, gently fold in the vegetable oil to the mixture.
3. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line the bottom of your bundt cake pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease and flour the pan.
4. Pour the cake batter into the bundt cake pan and bake for about 50 minutes.
5. While the cake is baking, in a small saucepan or pot, heat up the lemon juice with 1/3 cup of sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
6. After the cake has finished baking, set it aside and allow for it to cool for 15 minutes. Gently remove the cake from the pan and place on a surface.
7. While the cake is still warm, use a toothpick to prick the top of the cake in a few places. Pour the lemon juice and sugar mixture onto the cake, allowing for it to soak in.
8. After the cake is completely cool, generously dust the top with powdered sugar.
What are some other ways you show your love for Mom on Mother’s Day? What will you be treating her to on this holiday?
2 thoughts on “Meyer Lemon Yogurt Cake”
What a perfect Mother’s Day recipe!
Thank you! 🙂