Valentine’s Day is right around the corner and if we’re talking about romance, the first thing that comes to mind is homemade dessert. This whimsical holiday is the perfect time to impress your significant other with something that tastes as sweet and lovely as it looks. And this year, we’re thinking none other than pavlovas. A pavlova is meringue that’s made by whipping together egg whites, sugar and other ingredients to form a delicate dessert that’s crispy on the outside and light and airy on the inside. Top it off with a luxurious whipped cream and your favorite fruits and you have yourself a work of art. Although it may look extravagant, this elegant treat is simple enough for the novice baker to make and is sure to dazzle any loved one.
The pavlovas get their fragrant sweetness from the strawberries and nuttiness from the pistachios but our Chocolate Dessert Sauce adds the final touch. Rich, thick and glossy, this confectionary sauce, along with our other Dessert Sauces, makes decorating your favorite breakfasts and desserts sweet and simple. Top them over waffles, pancakes and French toast or decorate cakes, ice cream sundaes, crepes and other delicious treats. Besides chocolate, our Dessert Sauces come in a variety of other flavors such as caramel, white chocolate, raspberry and even cinnamon.
Strawberry Pistachio Pavlovas
Yields: 8 servings
For the toppings
- 2 cups of strawberries, stemmed and halved
- Fresh pistachios for garnish, chopped
- Melissa’s Chocolate Dessert Sauce
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
For the pavlovas
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of pistachios, pulsed in the food processor
- 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon of white distilled vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
2. Use an electric mixer to whip the egg whites until soft peaks begin to form. Slowly add in the white granulated sugar while the mixer is still running.
3. When the mixture has thickened and become glossy, fold in the pistachios, cornstarch and vanilla extract.
4. Using a spatula, divide the mixture into 8 equally sized mounds, while making sure to shape a small well in the center of each mound. Space these mounds about 1 inch apart.
5. Bake the pavlovas for about 1 hour. When they are finished baking, they should look slightly browned at the sides and dry to the touch. Leave them in the oven with the oven door open and allow for them to cool completely.
6. Make your whipped cream by whisking together the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until you get stiff peaks.
7. Spoon a generous dollop of whipped cream onto each pavlova. Top with the sliced strawberries and chopped pistachios. Drizzle Melissa’s Chocolate Dessert Sauce onto each pavlova for a final touch. Serve immediately and do not refrigerate.
What are your favorite Valentine’s Day treats? Are you planning anything special for your significant other?