Don’t be intimated by the thought of making bread at home. Whoever said that it was an arduous task couldn’t be more wrong, especially when it comes to homemade focaccia. Perfect all year round, focaccia is an exquisite Italian flatbread that’s made with yeast, topped with fresh fruit, cheese or herbs and baked in the oven until golden brown. It’s both elegant and eye-catching, no matter how you serve it. Today, we’re making the most out of this season’s finest figs with a delectable Fig Focaccia with Gorgonzola Cheese. Figs and cheese are a classic combination that have been eaten together since ancient times and is still beloved as ever today. In this recipe, the natural tang of the Gorgonzola cheese is followed by its sweet aftertaste, making it extremely palatable when paired with sweet, smokey roasted figs.
Before we get started, let us introduce you to two of our most popular fig varieties we offer and suggest using for our focaccia recipe. These figs are available for purchase at 800-588-0151 or email@example.com.
Rich in color and flavor, Black Mission Figs have enjoyed a long and abundant history in the United States after it was planted by missionaries in California during the 1700s. Today, it’s one of the most popular and high quality varieties of figs available. Black Mission Figs have skin that cracks upon ripeness to expose a soft, almost jelly-like pink flesh underneath. Their flavor is mellow, delectable and extremely sweet, making them wonderful for jams, jellies or serving alongside tangy cheeses.
Brown Turkey Figs are a timeless favorite among fig aficionados and are considered one of the best growing variety of figs available today. The Brown Turkey Fig has a flesh that’s a rosy amber tone in contrast to the Black Mission Fig’s pink counterpart. Although deliciously sweet and juicy, Brown Turkey Figs are also more mild in flavor with a slightly nuttier taste and are excellent in recipes with extra sugar or honey added such as this particular recipe.
Fig Focaccia with Gorgonzola Cheese
Yields: 8 servings
- 8 fresh Black Mission Figs or Brown Turkey Figs, sliced
- 1 package of dry yeast (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of warm water
- 3/4 cup of Gorgonzola Cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1 teaspoon of salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry yeast and about 1/4 cup of water. Let the yeast dissolve and sit for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the flour, oil, honey and salt and knead the dough by hand or with a stand mixer.
3. Add a little bit of flour to your work surface and place the dough on top of it. Knead the dough for around 10 minutes until it feels elastic and smooth.
4. Lightly oil the surface of the dough and place it into a mixing bowl. Cover it for about 45 minutes in a warm room and allow for it to rise and double in size.
5. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Punch the dough down and place it onto lightly oiled baking sheet. Using your hands or a rolling pin, reshape the dough into a flattened circle.
6. Lay down the slices of figs onto the dough. Scatter the gorgonzola cheese and sprinkle the sugar across the dough.
7. Bake for around 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Once the focaccia is completely baked, slice into pieces and serve warm.
Between Black Mission Figs and Brown Turkey Figs, which do you prefer? What is your favorite way to enjoy focaccia?
2 thoughts on “Fig Focaccia with Gorgonzola Cheese”
Our fig tree at home is literally over flowing! Your recipe combines two of my mum’s favourite things, definitely be baking this!
That sounds awesome! There are so many wonderful things to do with figs! We’d love to see if it you do 🙂