Cranberries are the quintessential fruit for the holiday season. Tart, juicy and bursting with sweetness, cranberries have a distinctive flavor that complements a wide variety of desserts and sauces. Once served only during Thanksgiving and Christmastime, cranberries are now one of the most popular ingredients used in an assortment of food during the fall and winter. From muffins to cakes to relishes, cranberries have only grown in popularity and are an irresistible holiday treat.
Our Cranberry Bread is our holiday take on a classic quick bread that’s simple to put together. While you can opt between using fresh cranberries or dried cranberries, we find that the fresh cranberries add an extra tartness that dried cranberries lack. Fresh cranberries can be quite bitter when eaten raw, but emit a delicious sweetness and tartness once baked.
Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
- 2 cups of cranberries
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup of orange juice
- 3/4 cup of whole milk
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- tablespoon of grated orange peel
- 1 egg, well beaten
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with butter and sprinkle a little bit of flour on top.
2. Mix the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the grated orange peel, orange juice, egg, butter and milk.
3. After your dry ingredients and well mixed with your wet ingredients, gently fold in the cranberries.
4. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
5. Remove the bread from the pan and allow it to cool for at least half an hour.
What are your thoughts on this holiday classic? What are your must-have desserts for the holiday season?