On a crisp autumn morning or chilly night, warm apple cider is the ultimate drink for the fall. With so many different ways to enjoy apples, what better way to celebrate apple picking season than with homemade apple cider? Kicking things up a notch, we decided to make full use of this fall favorite by serving them in their very own apple cups. Simple yet charming, these apple cider cups are compact enough to grasp and are sure to warm the hearts and bellies of friends and family.
Since this is apple picking season, you’ll find a wide variety of apples in your local produce department. From year round favorites like Gala apples and Red Delicious to seasonal varieties like the Honeycrisp Apples, there’s plenty of apples to go around for an endless array of recipes. For this particular recipe, we recommend using apples of the sweeter variety. Organic Gala Apples, Organic Fuji Apples and Organic Ambrosia Apples will all work beautifully in creating Apple Cider Cups.
Apple Cider Cups
Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 6 large apples
- 12 cinnamon sticks
- 1 orange, use 1/2 and cut into quarters
- 1 whole star anise
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon of cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/2 nutmeg
- Lemon juice
- 3 ounces of spiced rum (optional)
1. Use a knife to slice off the top of the apple and cut around the edge to create a rim about 1/4 inch wide.
2. Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the pulp of the apples. Set the pulp aside.
3. Brush the insides of the apples with a little bit of lemon juice. This will prevent browning while you make the apple cider.
4. Place the apple pulp, orange pieces, cinnamon sticks, water, cloves, allspice, nutmeg and spiced rum (optional) into a large pot and bring to a boil.
5. Simmer for about 2 hours with the pot uncovered on low heat. Stir occasionally.
6. Once boiled, place the juice with the apple pulp and oranges into a strainer and press down with a potato masher. Strain all the liquid into a large bowl.
7. Pour the warm apple cider into the apple cups and serve. Garnish with fresh cinnamon sticks.
What are your thoughts on this recipe? Do you like to make your own apple cider? What are your favorite ways to get into the fall spirit?
2 thoughts on “Apple Cider Cups”
Can i just prepare the cider and keep in the fridge and worm it up When need it?
Sure, that’s perfect okay! Just a couple of minutes in the microwave should do the trick 🙂