Sweet and chewy granola bars–what more could a kid ask for in a daytime snack? Kids love them. Adults love them. They’re the perfect item to munch on and a definitely healthy alternative to candy and chips. While a box of them can set you back $4 or more, making them at home is quick and easy. Plus, these homemade Oatmeal Raisin Granola bars don’t contain all the other questionable ingredients. It’s just pure good ol’ oats, nuts and raisins that are sweetened with honey and brown sugar. Your kids will not only have a blast eating them, but also making them together with you.
Oatmeal Raisin Granola Bars
Yields: 12 bars
Prep Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of almonds
- 1/2 cup of cashews
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 1/3 cup of honey
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place the oats, almonds and cashews to a lightly greased baking sheet.
2. Bake for about 7-8 minutes or until lightly toasted.
3. Place the toasted mixture to a large bowl.
4. Add the honey, brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract to a small pot and cook over medium heat. Stir until the butter and sugar melts.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the large bowl with dry ingredients and gently stir in the raisins.
6. Pour the mixture into a large pan and press firmly, making sure everything is well fused together.
7. Cover the pan and place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or more.
8. Once cool, remove from the refrigerator and cut into bars.