Summer is soon coming to an end and it’s back to school before we know it. With the kids attending school again, the mornings may get a little more hectic with having to wake them up and make sure they’re out of the house on time. It also means it’s time to prepare for packing lunches on the daily. While peanut butter and jelly or egg salad sandwiches have always been a classic choice, we, along with most kids, can agree those can become quite the bore. For the next few weeks, we will be featuring back-to-school lunch recipes that are kid-friendly and child-approved. For busy moms, time is of the essence so we made sure that these recipes are always quick, easy and inexpensive to prepare.
When it comes to making sure your child gets a nutritious and balanced meal at lunchtime, there’s no need to sacrifice health for flavor. Our Chicken and Vegetable Wraps have the best of both worlds–baked chicken as comfort food and fresh lettuce and tomatoes for wellness and nutrition. You can even serve the chicken ahead of time for dinner and use the leftovers for next day’s lunch. A delicious alternative to your typical sandwich, this wrap calls for a whole-wheat wrap to hold everything together, giving it even more nutrition. Who says parents and kids both can’t be happy when it comes to deciding what’s on the menu?
Chicken and Vegetable Wraps
Prep Time: 10 minutes
For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup of melted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
For the wrap
- 4 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 1 lb of breaded chicken
- 1 Organic Tomato, diced
- 3 large leaves of Organic Leaf Lettuce
- 2 cups of rice noodles
1. In a separate bowl, mix the bread crumbs, salt and pepper together. In another dish, mix together the butter, garlic and lemon juice.
2. Dip the chicken in the butter and then into the bread crumbs, making sure to get an even coating on both sides.
3. Place the chicken breasts into a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
4. Once the chicken is done baking, allow for it to cool. Or if used for dinner the night before, remove from the refrigerator and roughly chop into cube-sized pieces.
5. Assemble the wrap by laying the whole-wheat tortillas flat. First, add a thin of layer of the rice noodles, then lettuce, and finally chicken. Spread the diced tomatoes around.
6. Once your fillings have been assembled, roll the tortilla into a wrap.