If we could choose one fruit to represent the summer without question, we would choose watermelon. Sweet, juicy and hydrating, watermelon is perfect for combating the scorching weather. And it holds itself well under a wide variety of dishes. From desserts to drinks to even savory dishes, watermelon is every bit as versatile as delicious. Because the temperature here in Southern California is at its peak at around 90 to over 100 degrees here, we were in serious need of something cool and refreshing. Of course, watermelon salad was the answer to our prayers.
Watermelon salad makes a brilliant choice to eat during picnics or during a hot afternoon. Watermelon and cucumber both have a reputation for being incredibly cool and refreshing. Sprinkle salty and tangy feta cheese and fresh mint over them with a light dressing and you’re all set for the summer. You can even make it your own and add other ingredients to your liking. Add chopped tomatoes for extra sweetness or a splash of tabasco for some heat.
Yields: 5 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1 watermelon, about 5-6 pounds
- 1 onion
- 5 sprigs of whole mint
- 2 tablespoons of chopped mint
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Remove the rind from the watermelon and chop the flesh into cubes. You may remove the seeds if you’d like.
2. Slice the onion and separate into rings.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the salt and pepper with the vinegar. Once combined, slowly add in the olive oil. Mix in the chopped mint.
4. Place the watermelon cubes, onion rings and crumbled feta into a large salad bowl. Add dressing to the salad and toss, making sure the everything is evenly distributed.
5. Add the whole mint pieces for garnish.